Total Viewers*

*Translate Blog*

Instagram @rchrdchn

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Timeline: Running Adventures

Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Some of my friends have asked me, "How can you run a marathon – 26.2 miles – without stopping? I cannot even run two miles. You are so crazy!" And my most frequent answer is, "You should start taking more walks instead of buses and driving, running one mile, then three, then go back to two miles, then do a long run - probably four or five miles - during weekends, and so on... You will see yourself running more miles if you do this." This is certainly true.



However, I believe what has helped me is that I have been training constantly, have put a big amount of discipline, and have had the will to run even during the days I do not feel like running. And this remains true as of today.

One of the reasons I started running was to break the monotony – for those who know me know my restlessness of getting out of my comfort zone as often as possible. I still remember the first day I went running around San Francisco. It was a cold and foggy night - how weird eh? San Francisco and its foggy nights...

Later on, after some weeks of running for fun, I decided to do some half marathon research, and one of my friends recommended the US Half Marathon. At this time - around Summer 2010 - there was no doubt that I would join in and run my first half marathon ever.

US Half Marathon Bib - Fall 2010

Then I signed up for another one...


US Half Marathon Medals

US Half Marathon Bib and Medals - Spring 2011

Then I found out Bay to Breakers 12k... where you see a bunch of drunk people, a lot of half naked and naked people, and some people with clothes and others with costumes trying to run...


Bay to Breakers 100th Edition - Spring 2011

Then I decided to sign up for my 3rd US Half Marathon, which has been my best half marathon as of today...

US Half Marathon Finish Line - Fall 2011

3rd US Half Marathon Result - Spring 2011

Then one day while having breakfast with a friend at Crepevine, a bunch of runners, in this case half marathoners who have finished their respective San Francisco half marathons, came into the restaurant... This was that crucial moment when I decided I would sign up for the San Francisco Marathon 2012. And one year after being there having breakfast with my friend, I was running and got to finish my first marathon!

It was not an easy run, but it was worth every second and effort :)


Shawna and Richard San Francisco Marathon - Summer 2012

I felt I was in a really good physical condition, so I decided to sign up for more races even before I had finished my first marathon... I joined the Giants 10k race in San Francisco, event which I ended up taking the first place in my group age.

Ranked #1 Age Group Giants 10k - Fall 2012

... Then I ran Nike's Woman Half Marathon...


Nike's Woman Half Marathon - Fall 2012

... And the top of the cake for 2012 came up with a final challenge, my second marathon – California International Marathon.


5AM at California International Marathon, Sacramento, CA

Richard and Harry at CIM - Fall 2012

... Then 2013 started and the first half marathon came up early at ING Miami Half Marathon as part of my preparation for my last marathon year-to-date.

Always Proud to Represent Venezuela - ING Miami Half Marathon - Spring '13

Jemie and Richard - ING Miami Half Marathon - Spring '13
... My 3rd and best marathon so far... The Oakland Marathon!

Okland Marathon 2013

At the finish line I even got to be interviewed by Jessica Chan, World Journal at San Francisco Bay Area.


–––––

I have tons of people I would like to thank, but I will not name any of you here because it would not be fair if I forget to mention one of you. So, YOU, the person who ran with me, trained with me, explained me running concepts, advised me, gave me a ride to my races, supported me physically or virtually, cheered at the finish line or even at the starting line at 6 a.m, took photos of this awesome journey, and you that I met during one of those crazy 15+ miles - long slow distance runs... THANK YOU!

Thank you because running has become part of my life and has made me stronger not only physically, but also mentally and psychologically.

–––––

Running quotes in my mind during difficult runs: 

“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” Dean Karnazes

“Struggling and suffering are the essence of a life worth living. If you're not pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone, if you're not demanding more from yourself - expanding and learning as you go - you're choosing a numb existence. You're denying yourself an extraordinary trip.” Dean Karnazes

“Running isn't a sport for pretty boys...It's about the sweat in your hair and the blisters on your feet. Its the frozen spit on your chin and the nausea in your gut. It's about throbbing calves and cramps at midnight that are strong enough to wake the dead. It's about getting out the door and running when the rest of the world is only dreaming about having the passion that you need to live each and every day with. It's about being on a lonely road and running like a champion even when there's not a single soul in sight to cheer you on. Running is all about having the desire to train and persevere until every fiber in your legs, mind, and heart is turned to steel. And when you've finally forged hard enough, you will have become the best runner you can be. And that's all that you can ask for.” Paul Maurer


–––––

I hope you have enjoyed this post. Comment below and share with friends :)

Until next time!

Adeu :)

rc~

rchrdchn.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter @rchrdchn